Table of Contents:[hide]
As most bikers would agree, you want to feel confident and safe when cruising down the road on your motorcycle. That's why finding the right helmet that fits your head and needs is crucial. After all, you don't want to spend your time riding with an uncomfortable or goofy looking lid. There are many different styles of biker helmets available for riders; however, since bikers are a unique breed finding the perfect motorcycle helmet can be difficult as you don't necessarily want to get from point A to point B but also have fun on the open road with your biker friends while being comfortable.
If you're unsure where to start when looking for the right biker helmet, you've come to the right place! In this article, Micro DOT Helmets will guide you through the world of small lightweight beanies that are DOT approved; some tips on finding the best one for your needs, and why it is worth investing in a company with 5 stars Google review and reputable name in the industry while risking on others isn't. Of course these tips apply to the Blister MicroDOT Beanie with SOA style, the Twister Reversible Beanie MicroDOT and the Mayhem German Style Helmet.
Don't Buy on Price Alone
We all look at the price tag when buying new gear. But what if we told you there is more to consider than just the cost? Several factors go into choosing a high-quality helmet, some of which have nothing to do with price at all.
- Free Accident Replacement: Would you waste your investment in a company that never answers the phone, does not reply to your emails, and the contact information is outside the US? At MicroDOT Helmets, our customer service will personally reach you to confirm your head measurement and guide you if you need to change your helmet. Micro DOT headquarters are in the North of Texas; we operate our warehouse and take pride in our product. In case you get in an accident, simply send the helmet back to Micro DOT, and we will ship you a free new beanie (handling and shipping apply)
- Reputation: Look for a company with a dealer network that allows you to test your helmet and still gives you the same warranty if you purchase directly from them. At MicroDOT Helmets, we offer the same warranty and support to our MicroDOT Owners Group.
- Durability: Ensure that the helmet you're interested in buying has a reputation for being durable and able to withstand regular use. All MicroDOT Helmets endure the roughness of the wind, sun, rain, snow, dust, dirt, and birds dropping. Remember that biker DOT helmets must be replaced every five years.
- Quality: A cheap plastic shell may look great when you take it out of the box, but if you get into an accident, the plastic will get incrusted in your scalp or your face causing more injuries than the actual crash. The best motorcycle helmet, like Micro DOT Helmets, are made of high-quality materials such as polycarbonate or composite (usually ABS) or Fiberglass, plus an EPS liner that conforms to the head shape.
- Safety: While we've already briefly touched on this, it's worth mentioning that the best biker helmets use certified impact protection standards such as DOT.
What to look for in a biker helmet
The type of helmet you choose will largely be based on your head shape, riding style, and preferences. However, certain factors are still worth considering regardless of your specific needs.
- Weight: As a rule of thumb, the lighter your helmet, the better. The reason behind this is simple: as you get older, you're likely to have less strength as you age, and if you're wearing a heavier helmet, it's going to take more effort to navigate and control your bike. The more you get out of your bike, the more important it is to ensure you're wearing a comfortable helmet that doesn't cause fatigue.
- Fit: A good motorcycle helmet should fit snugly. This is because the impact is reduced when the helmet is squeezed to the head shape of the wearer's head. It is also important to note that a helmet should not be too big or too small as this can cause a variety of issues. Too big of a helmet may result in the small beanie not fitting properly, bouncing on your head, and causing soreness on your scalp and neck. Too small of a helmet may cause headaches, the tension on your neck and shoulders, and a red line on your scalp.
- Straps: Straps in beanie helmets should be soft but resistant to impact with two anchor points on the shell that prevent the biker helmet from lifting. All MicroDOT helmets must have a quick release with at least 5 positions to lock the beanie, so you find the right lock if you wear headliners or head wraps without changing the strap's position.
Look at the Size Chart
It's important to note that not all helmets come in the same sizes. Some brands may only have four sizes(Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large), while others have a broader range of shell sizes. At MicroDOT, we understand the importance of fitting, so we offer biker helmets in seven sizes from XXS to XXL. This is a great way to go down to the quarter of an inch difference that will change the feeling of how the motorcycle helmet fits on your head and what size you may need.
You may also want to measure your head, but try double-checking with two different tape measurements. If you wear a hat that covers your head, take the hat off and measure the area where your biker beanie would be. Keep in mind that there are a few factors to take into account when measuring your head:
- If you wear a headwrap or a helmet liner, you want to ensure you're measuring your head circumference with the head wrap on and place a tailor tape exactly where your regular hat sits, above the browns and ears. This will give you the most accurate measurement.
- Hair length: If you recently had a haircut and plan to let your hair grow, please consider adding from 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch room for your hair to grow, depending on the thickness of your hair. This will avoid a tight helmet and a headache when your hair grows.
So, How do you know if it's Worth it?
After you've done your research on possible helmets, you should be well-equipped to make a well-informed decision based on your needs. If you consider these factors, you'll be able to find that the Best DOT Beanie Helmet that is small and lightweight and gives you better value for your money is Micro DOT Helmets. You will receive a high-quality motorcycle helmet that fits you well and is also DOT certified to protect your head in the event of an accident.
If you have any other questions about how to pick out a biker helmet, or you'd like to share your experience with the best motorcycle helmet out there, feel free to leave a comment below!